Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: documents (Yahoo Security)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump’s top homeland security official has signed two orders that could expand the number of undocumented immigrants who could be stopped and deported, according to documents seen by Reuters and first reported by McClatchy news organization.

    Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly included the new orders in two memos signed on Friday, but the memos have yet to be cleared by the White House, two sources told Reuters.

    The orders were guidance to follow executive orders Trump signed on Jan. 25.

    Under the orders, hundreds of thousands of people would face expedited removal proceedings, including those previously not prioritized for deportation under former President Barack Obama.

    Those people include those who were charged with but not convicted of crime and parents of children who entered the United States illegally.    

     Kelly said in one of the memos that illegal immigration across the U.S. border with Mexico had “created a significant national security vulnerability to the United States.”

    The memos also instruct the agencies to recruit police and sheriff deputies to assist immigration agents.

(Reporting by Julia Edwards Ainsley and Diane Bartz; Editing by Dave Gregorio)

Source: SANS ISC SecNewsFeed @ February 19, 2017 at 03:45AM

0
Share